GP & J Baker: An Introduction
GP & J Baker is a British fabric and textile design company founded in 1884. The company is known for its high-quality fabrics and wallcoverings, which are used in many applications, including home furnishings, curtains, fashion, and contract interiors. GP & J Baker has a reputation for creating elegant, timeless designs inspired by historical and cultural references. The company has a long history of collaboration with leading interior designers and has been responsible for many iconic textile designs over the years.
GP & J Baker Fabrics
GP & J Baker offers a wide range of fabrics and wallcoverings, including:
- Woven fabrics: This includes a variety of cotton, linen, silk, and wool fabrics that can be used for upholstery, drapery, and other decorative applications.
- Printed fabrics: GP & J Baker is known for its printed fabrics, which feature intricate designs and patterns inspired by historical and cultural references.
- Embroidered fabrics: The company also offers a range of fabrics that feature intricate embroidery, which can be used for decorative purposes or to add a luxurious touch to clothing and home furnishings.
- Wallcoverings: GP & J Baker also offers a wide range of wallcoverings, including various designs and textures, from classic damasks and stripes to modern geometric patterns.
- Trimmings: GP&J Baker also provides a wide range of trimmings, from fringes, tassels, and braids to cords and ropes.
All of GP & J Baker’s products are of high quality and are often used by interior designers, decorators and other professionals in the industry.
GP & J Baker Collections
GP & J Baker offers a wide range of collections that cater to different tastes and styles. Some of their notable collections include:
- The Archive Collection: This collection is inspired by GP & J Baker’s vast archive of historical textile designs and features patterns and colours that are evocative of different eras and cultures.
- The Luxe Collection: This collection features luxurious, high-end fabrics and wallcoverings that are designed to add a touch of elegance and glamour to any space.
- The Modernist Collection: This collection features clean, geometric designs and bold graphic patterns that are perfect for contemporary interiors.
- The Naturalist Collection: This collection features fabrics and wallcoverings that are inspired by nature and the natural world, with patterns and colours that reflect the beauty of the outdoors.
- The Artisanal Collection: This collection features hand-crafted and artisanal fabrics that are designed to add a unique touch of character and warmth to any space.
All the collections are designed to be timeless and can be used in a wide range of interior design projects, from residential to contract. GP & J Baker also have a wide range of collaborations with different designers and brands, which brings new and fresh designs and collections to their portfolio.
GP & J Baker Designer Collections
GP & J Baker has a long history of collaborating with leading designers and brands in the interior design and fashion industries. Some notable collaborations include:
- Designers Guild: GP & J Baker has collaborated with Designers Guild on several occasions, creating fabrics and wallcoverings that reflect the company’s signature style of bold colours and patterns.
- Colefax and Fowler: GP & J Baker has collaborated with Colefax and Fowler on several collections, which are known for their traditional English country-house style.
- Mary McDonald: GP & J Baker has collaborated with the American interior designer Mary McDonald to create a collection of fabrics and wallcoverings that reflect her signature style of elegant, timeless design.
- David Hicks: GP & J Baker has collaborated with the British interior designer David Hicks to create a collection of fabrics and wallcoverings that reflect his bold, geometric style.
- Zoffany: GP & J Baker has collaborated with Zoffany, a British brand that is known for its traditional and historical references and creates collections that reflect this style.
These collaborations often result in new and fresh designs and bring GP & J Baker’s signature timeless style with a touch of the collaborating brand’s style.
GP & J Baker Fabric Prints
GP & J Baker is known for its wide range of printed fabrics, which feature intricate designs and patterns inspired by historical and cultural references. Some notable GP & J Baker fabric prints include:
- Floral prints: GP & J Baker offers a wide range of floral prints, which feature elegant, detailed designs that are inspired by nature.
- Damasks: GP & J Baker has a long history of creating iconic damask designs, which are characterised by their intricate, symmetrical patterns.
- Toiles: GP & J Baker has a wide range of Toile de Jouy fabrics, which feature scenes of everyday life, often with a historical or pastoral theme.
- Paisleys: GP & J Baker offers a wide range of paisley prints, which feature the distinctive teardrop-shaped motif that is associated with this pattern.
- Stripes: GP & J Baker offers a wide range of stripes fabrics, from classic fine stripes to bold, graphic designs.
- Geometrics: GP & J Baker also offers a wide range of geometric patterns, from simple, clean designs to complex, interlocking patterns.
GP & J Baker Signature Prints
GP & J Baker is known for its iconic and signature prints, characterised by their timeless elegance and intricate designs. Some notable GP & J Baker signature prints include:
- “Chinois”: This is a beautiful, ornate floral and bird design, which is inspired by Chinese ceramics and is one of GP & J Baker’s most iconic prints.
- “Willow Boughs”: This is a classic GP & J Baker print that features an intricate, detailed design of willow boughs and branches.
- “Leaves”: This is a simple yet elegant GP & J Baker print with a leafy pattern.
- “Willow”: This is a GP & J Baker print that features a detailed design of willow branches and leaves.
- “Ikat”: This GP & J Baker print features a traditional ikat pattern, which is characterized by its blurred, dye-resist lines.
- “Paisley”: GP & J Baker’s paisley print is a classic and iconic one; it features the distinctive teardrop-shaped motif that is associated with this pattern.
GP & J Baker also revives some of these signature prints in different colour ways and variations to make them more up-to-date.
GP & J Baker Fabric FAQs
Some frequently asked questions and answers about GP & J Baker fabrics:
Where can I purchase GP & J Baker fabrics?
GP & J Baker fabrics are available through a network of distributors and showrooms, like Woosters Interiors. You can also find GP & J Baker fabrics at fabric stores or online retailers.
How do I care for GP & J Baker fabrics?
Care instructions vary depending on the specific fabric. Still, most GP & J Baker fabrics can be dry cleaned, some fabrics may be suitable for machine or hand washing, but it is always best to check the care label before cleaning.
Can GP & J Baker fabrics be used for outdoor applications?
GP & J Baker fabrics are not specifically designed for outdoor use, but some of their fabrics are suitable for outdoor use, such as Sunbrella fabrics.
How do I know if a GP & J Baker fabric is authentic?
A: GP & J Baker fabrics can be identified by the GP label, which is usually sewn into the fabric. GP & J Baker fabrics are available through authorized distributors and showrooms, so purchasing from a reputable source is another way to ensure authenticity.
Are GP & J Baker fabrics environmentally friendly?
GP & J Baker is committed to sustainability, and they have a wide range of fabrics that are environmentally friendly, such as the use of organic cotton and linen, and the use of dyes that are free of harmful chemicals. They also have a recycling program for their textile waste.
Do GP & J Baker fabrics have any certifications?
A: GP & J Baker fabrics have certifications such as the Oeko-Tex Standard 100, ensuring their materials are free of harmful substances. They are also a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council.
Why GP & J Baker Fabrics?
GP & J Baker fabrics are typically chosen for their high quality, durability, and design. The company has a reputation for producing luxurious, high-end fabrics that are made from the finest materials and are expertly crafted. Their fabrics are often used in luxury home furnishings, such as curtains, drapes, bedding, and upholstery, as well as in high-end commercial projects, such as hotels and restaurants.
Additionally, GP & J Baker fabrics are known for their unique, elegant designs and patterns. They offer a wide variety of styles, from traditional to contemporary, that can complement any decor. They also have a wide range of colours and textures to choose from, which allows designers and decorators to achieve the perfect look for any space.
Another reason people choose GP & J Baker fabrics is because of the company’s commitment to sustainability. They use environmentally friendly materials and methods in their production process, which makes them a responsible choice for those who are environmentally conscious.
Overall, GP & J Baker fabrics are a popular choice among designers and decorators because of their quality, durability, design, and sustainability.
Wooster Interiors workshop and showroom is located in Brigstock, Northamptonshire and provides in-home consultations to Stamford, Kettering, Corby, Oundle, Market Harborough and Uppingham.
Wooster Interiors pride itself on having one of the most prominent fabric selections in Northamptonshire: Colefax & Fowler, GP & J Baker, Jane Churchill, Clarke & Clarke, Baker Lifestyle and Sanderson, all of which can be viewed at our showroom.
- Colefax & Fowler Fabrics
- Clarke & Clarke Fabrics
- Jane Churchill Fabrics
- Baker Lifestyle Fabric
- Essentials Baker Lifestyle Fabrics for Upholstery